June 3, 2012

Man Down...

Tice was golfing on Friday afternoon last week with a friend, Nick, at a course near our house when he had an accident.  They were being pretty competitive with one another when on the 10th hole they both drove the ball into a gravel pit.  Both told the other that they weren't allowed to drop the ball into an easier to shot from location so both were forced to try and hit some difficult shots.  Nick shot first and was able to get the ball out of the gravel then it was Tice's turn.  He had hit the ball directly behind an electrical box that was placed on a cement slab rised about 2 inches up off of the ground.  When Tice took his shot, he graised the ball which made it hit the cement slab and pop up directly into this good eye.  (For those of you that don't know Tice has an eye condition that causes his eye sight to degrade over time and his right eye is better off then his left.)  The ball popped up so quickly that he didn't have time to react and the ball ended up hitting him in the sunglasses he was wearing, causing them to shatter, and pieces of the broken lens cut him right on the bone of his eye socket.  He said that when it happened he felt as though his face had exploded and he was afraid that his eye had fallen out! 

Thankfully neither one of those things happened and Nick quickly collected them both up into the cart, drove back to their car, and took him to Urgent Care.  Nick then called me and told me to meet the at the Urgent Care facility.  When I got there I wasn't exactly sure what to expect but it was worse then I would have imagined!  Eight stitches later, an appointment to the eye doctor, a prescription for eye drops, and he is well on his way to being back at 100% in the next 6-12 months (guess that is how long the slight double vision he is experiencing might last). 

Side Note:  His love of golf is so strong that on Monday he went out and played 18 holes like nothing had even happened!

Here are some pictures after the stitches: