September 4, 2012

Tice's Cornea Transplant

Tice went in for surgery this morning to get a cornea transplant on his left eye.  It was a procedure that I had been nagging him to get for years and today was finally the day!  As some of you may know, he was considered legally blind in his left eye because his cornea is pointed instead of rounded.  Therefore this was the only procedure that the doctor recommended.

Because of Sawyer I dropped him off at the hospital in downtown Portland at 5:30 AM and then went back to the hospital at Noon to pick him back up.  When I got to his recovery room this is what I saw...

They ended up having to do a full thickness transplant, which has a 1 in 10 chance of being rejected verses a partial thickness transplant.  Cross your fingers that the operation works because he doesn't want to have to do this all over again and I don't think that I could play nurse to him all while taking care of an infant!