November 10, 2011

Vegetarian Enchilada Soup



I had seen an idea on Pinterest for Chicken Enchilada soup which sounded really yummy to me, so a couple nights ago I whipped up a batch but made a couple of changes.  Here is the recipe I made up:
1 15oz Can of Corn
1 15oz Can of Black Beans
1 Large Can of Enchilada Sauce (pick your favorite)
1 15oz can of Diced Tomatoes
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 small bunch of green onions, chopped
1 small handful of cilantro, chopped
1 Jalapeno, diced
1 tbs. olive oil
1 cup of Chicken stock
½ cup of slim milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cheddar Cheese- sprinkle on as topping
I placed the olive oil, jalapeno, and onion in my purple stock pot and let them cook together until the onions were tender, about 5 minutes.  Then I threw everything else in the pot with salt and pepper to taste and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.  And there you have it one great, super simple pot of soup.  I think it turned out great but even for me the jalapeno with the enchilada sauce, which already had quite a bit of spice, it was a bit spicy.  Next time I think I will strip the seeds from the jalapeno to cut back the heat level a bit.
Almost all of the ingredients lined up!
Some of the diced green onions before being tossed in the pot
The finished product!