July 21, 2014

Kinley's Birth Story



Please help us welcome into the world,
Kinley Avery Tice
Born July 17th at 10 PM
7 Pounds 3.2 Ounces
19 1/4 inches long











Let's begin with me saying that any amount of time would be considered shorter then my labor with Sawyer but that relatively speaking the amount of time I was in labor with Kinley was still long!  Things all got started around midnight on July 17th.  I was woken by some contractions which weren't to terrible but definitely announced that things might begin sooner then later.  I got up to go to the bathroom and realized that I was beginning to lose my mucas plug- last time with Sawyer is came out all at once but this time it was coming in pieces (if that's TMI, sorry!).  After about 2 hours I was able to go back to sleep only to be woken again about an hour later around 4 AM.  As Tice was leaving for the gym and work around 5 AM I told him that I had lost my mucas plug and that I had been having contractions so that he should stay extremely close to his cell!  Once I woke up for the day at 6 AM,  things were getting really close and painful.  I tried to hurry and get the rest of the items I needed for the hospital packed as well as the things Sawyer would need while we were gone, breakfast for the both of us, and a shower for me.  By 8 AM, I was just about ready to jump in the shower so I called Tice again and told him that he needed to come home- things were progressing quickly.  However once Tice received the call he expected things would take just as long this second time around as they did with Sawyer so he took a bit longer to come home then normal...after 30 minutes I called him in a panic asking where on earth he was...thankfully he was 30 seconds away so once he finally got home we loaded up in the car and hurried to my mother in law's, dropped Sawyer off, and headed to the hospital.

 My contractions at this point were anywhere from 4 to 7 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute to 90 seconds each.  I felt like they were on top of one another so once we finally arrived at the hospital there was no way I was walking and sat down in the first wheelchair we saw.  I remember that once I was seated that Tice was having a bit of difficulty pushing me and opening the door at the same time.   I wasn't the only one to notice...this senior citizen volunteer also noticed and came strolling over to us and told Tice "next time all you need to do was wave a hand in front of a sensor for the door to open!"  We both looked at her like she was an idiot/crazy and Tice piped up and said "we are hoping there won't be a next time!"  Once safely in the elevator we first went to the wrong floor (delivery was on one floor and recovery is on another- we went to recovery first) so they put us back in the elevator and sent us to the correct floor.   Upon checking in, a nurse came out to meet us and took us to a triage room so that she could check me and see how far along things were.  She told us I was at 3 cm and 90% effaced!  That was so amazing to hear considering all of the contractions being right on top of each other- I was afraid that she was going to say 1 cm.  She said that the game plan was for me to either walk around the floor of the hospital  or stay in the room and rock my hips back and forth for an hour after which she would then check me.  After 45 minutes I was in A LOT of pain and the contractions were about 2 minutes apart, lasting for a considerable amount of time so I wasn't really getting any break.  She suggested she move us to a room where we would be able to put me in the tub and progress in there which should be more comfortable for me.  After being in the tub for about 90 minutes I said I was in a lot of pain so she pulled me out and checked me again.  I was between 5 and 6 cm and was 100% effaced!  Music to my ears!  She officially admitted me and then we called for the epidural.  The doctor was in a c-section so I had to wait about 30 minutes more before he came in.  Once he was there he quickly gave me my epidural which felt amazing!  He only needed once to get it right (unlike last time where the doctor had to try 2 times before finally getting it right) and it felt great!  After the epidural was administered around 2 PM we waited.  It slowed my progress down to where I didn't make much progress for the next 3 hours but I couldn't feel anything and we had TV so all I really tried to do was take some cat naps and save up my energy.  Then around 3 PM they told us that they would like to put me on Pitocin and break my water so that my contractions could begin to get closer together again.  The doctor on call,  my actual doctor who was unavailable, was so busy with more urgent matters that he wasn't able to have the resident doctor administer the Pitocin until nearly 6 PM.  Once they started me on that my contractions started getting closer together once again- going from 5 to 6 minutes apart to 3 minutes apart.  Finally after all of the more urgent matters were taken care of the doctor on call was finally able to come up and break my water around 7:30 PM.  They checked me again about 30 minutes after they broke my water and I had gone from a 7 to a 9!  They cranked up the Pitocin again so that the contractions would be closer together for me pushing.  Around 9:15 PM, my wonderful nurse came in again and said that we should try some "practice pushes" with the resident doctor on call.  After three contractions and 9 total pushes they said I was making excellent progress and that they were going to go get the doctor because we were ready!  The doctor came in a little before 10 PM and after one contraction and four pushes within that contraction, Kinley Avery Tice was welcomed into the world  on 7/17/14 at 10 PM on the dot!  They ended up having to manually retrieve my placenta (which they also had to do with Sawyer).

After a blissful hour of holding our little girl they started cleaning her up and getting her measurements.  She ended up weighing 7 pounds 3.2 ounces and measuring 19 1/4 inches long.  They moved us up to our recovery room around 1:15 AM where we settled in for the night.  We got a stretch of almost 4 hours and then another 3 hour stretch that first night.  She is so calm and is such a wonderful eater so far which is great news!

More updates to come- just as soon as I get my head out of the clouds!  We are just over the moon in love with her.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
XO,
Bailey