April 29, 2012

What's For Dinner...Pregnancy Cravings Addition

Being pregnant has caused me to obviously become addicted to certain food items and this recipe is near the top of the list. 

Tice and I went out on Date Night in February to our favorite Thai restaurant in Portland, Pok Pok where I had a soup that forever changed my mind about soups.  It was their version of a coconut curry soup and it is an item that made it on to my top 5 dishes of all time after having.  Everything about it was to die for so when I realized how often I would want to eat this dish I knew I needed to come up with a recipe that was similar enough to the real thing but that I could make at home.  Enter this {recipe}.  In order for the recipe I found to mimic the dish I was lusting over I had to make some modifications so here is my version of the recipe below:

Thai Coconut Curry Soup
Ingredients
Two 14 oz (398 mL) cans of premium coconut milk
1 heaping tablespoon (15 mL) of Thai curry paste ( I use Green)
Roots of 1 bunch of cilantro, rinsed well
2 cups (500 mL) of chicken broth
1 carrot, shredded
2 tablespoons (30 mL) of fish sauce
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 Tbs. of Sugar
1 can of bamboo stocks
A small knob of frozen ginger
One 8 oz (225 g) package of rice noodles (I only use about 2 oz normally- otherwise the noodles are overwhelming)
Leaves of 1 bunch of cilantro, rinsed well
2 or 3 green onions, thinly sliced
A sprinkle or two of salt or soy sauce
Crunchy Rice Noodles (To top the soup with)

 I start by scooping about 1/4 of a cup of the coconut milk into the pre heated pot and mixing this with the curry paste and cilantro stems.  I let this cook together for about 2 minutes and then I toss everything else into the pot.
 The coconut milk, cilantro stems, and curry paste cooking together

The finished product!

I then top each bowl with the crunchy rice noodles followed by a sprinkling of cilantro leaves and green onion!